Bozeman, Montana, United StatesPhotonics and RF
S2 Corporation is seeking to fill the position of Photonic Engineer with a meticulous and detail-oriented person who enjoys solving problems, possesses great teamwork skills and the ability to clearly state and share ideas.
- Designing, integrating, and testing complex photonic systems and components incorporating lasers, fiber optics, electro-optics, non-linear frequency conversion and low noise, high sensitivity photodetection.
- Designing, integrating, and testing of wide band RF electronic subsystems.
- Developing testing protocols to determine functionality and optimization, or to establish limits of complex systems and subsystems, and to ensure quality.
- Developing mathematical models to predict, analyze, and evaluate subsystem operation.
- Working with Electrical Engineers to integrate and test custom micro processing and analog electronics into complex prototype systems.
- Working with Mechanical Engineers to integrate and test cryogenic and vacuum systems into complex prototype systems.
- Working with all technical staff to transition complex prototypes to production systems.
- Conducting research on new photonic technologies and staying current with the state-of-the-art in the fields of photonics and RF sensing.
- Selecting, purchasing and setting up commercially available RF electronics and photonics components.
- Documenting the design processes including objectives, issues, and outcomes.
The successful candidate will have most or all of these essential skills or abilities:
- Bachelor of Science degree in Optics, Physics, Systems Engineering or related Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics (STEM) degree.
- 0-3 years of relevant industry experience, or new college graduates with exceptional lab / project experience.
- Experience with laser systems, optics, electro-optics, circuits, data acquisition interfaces.
- Experience with data processing in Python, Matlab, or similar.
- Demonstrated knowledge of electronics, components, and circuitry.
Desirable Skills & Abilities: (hierarchical)
- Demonstrated ability to work with colleagues who represent a diversity of work and conflict resolution styles.
- An eye for detail and adherence to high standards.
- Experience with fiber optics, stable CW laser operation, electro-optic phase modulation, non-linear frequency conversion.
- Knowledge of RF system components, test equipment and RF-optical modulation.
- Knowledge of atomic spectroscopy.
- Professional work experience in optics, photonics, experimental science or a related area.
- Professional work experience in a manufacturing environment.
- Experience with cryogenics and vacuum systems.
- Experience with Solidworks, Solidworks FEA, ANSYS FEM, other modeling programs.
- Knowledge of OpticStudio, Code V, Zeemax, or other optical modeling programs.
- A tenacious desire for driving projects from design phase through product phase.
- Experience with C/C++, and/or C# programming languages.
S2 Corporation’s General Employee Requirements:
- The position includes working on U. S. Government funded projects that involve the handling of controlled unclassified information, requiring the successful candidate to have U. S. Citizenship.
- This position may include working on defense department funded projects with security restrictions, which may require a security clearance. The successful candidate must be willing and able to apply for a security clearance.
- The successful candidate will have to pass a preemployment drug test and background check.
- Be able to perform physical tasks around the lab and office spaces such as sitting and standing, each for at least an hour multiple times throughout a day, and occasional lifting of items up to 50lbs.
- Attend required organizational meetings in person or through videoconferencing.
- Clear communication of your efforts so that others can reproduce your efforts as needed.
- Efficiently use word processing, spreadsheet, time reporting, procurement and other software.
- Ability to describe technical progress in project deliverable reports.
- Ability to assist in writing funding proposals.
- Ability to interpret general guidelines and work alone for extended periods to efficiently move projects forward.
- Ability, willingness, and availability to travel to field test events up to several times a year, which may include driving company vehicles and working extended hours outside for several days.
- Ability to function as part of a team, that is highly collaborative, cross-functional and multi-disciplinary on multiple projects.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, with ability to communicate clearly with coworkers, through in-person conversations, email, and on line in organizational software, such as Microsoft Teams.
- Ability to independently learn and apply new approaches and technologies in order to find solutions to complex problems.
The priority date for receiving applications is July 1, 2020, but applications will continue to be considered after this date. S2 Corporation reserves the right to hire none, one, or several candidates for this position. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin.